Types and Benefits of Orthodontic Treatment
Orthodontic treatment corrects various dental issues improving your oral health and smile appearance. Its procedures involve moving or straightening teeth to improve their appearance and how they work. Orthodontic treatment is done due to orthodontic problems such as teeth crowding, spacing, and inappropriate tooth eruption.
Although misaligned teeth may cause speech or health problems, which lowers your confidence, orthodontics will help improve your dental health as well as your overall health, restoring your confidence.
Causes of Misaligned Teeth
Teeth that are not perfectly aligned may put a strain on the jaw muscles. This may cause joint and jaw problems and sometimes headaches. Permanent teeth may become crooked because the gum space allocated to them is small for them to fit.
Below are causes of misaligned teeth:
- Poor dental care. Poor oral hygiene could cause problems such as gingivitis and cavities. This could cause your teeth to loosen or shift from their positions.
- Genetics. Some conditions such as underbites, overbites & jaw shape can be inherited from your family.
- Poor nutrition. A proper diet is essential for the formation of your body’s tissues, muscles, and bones. Poor nutrition could lead to poor dental development and other health problems.
- Myofunctional disorder. These are repetitive habits that lead to the improper functioning of the tongue and facial muscles. These are habits such as mouth breathing, thumb sucking, and tongue thrusting.
- Facial injury. Injuries involving the mouth, face, and jaw may knock teeth out of their position leading to crooked teeth.
Types of Orthodontic Treatment
Untreated orthodontic problems may lead to chewing and digestion problems. Below are types of orthodontic treatment offered by dentists:
Braces exist in different types such as metal, lingual and self-ligating braces. They help align teeth to their perfect position improving your oral health status.
These are clear, plastic, removable trays that help shift misaligned teeth to their perfect position. Aligners straighten your teeth within six weeks to 18 months, depending on the severity of your teeth misalignment.
These are used to hold the teeth in position after they have been aligned with braces. Retainers can either be removable or fixed. They help hold the teeth when the bones and gum are moved to a new position.
- Orthognathic treatment
This is a surgical procedure aimed to realign either or both jaws to help hold your teeth in place. Your orthodontist may recommend minor surgical procedures if your teeth have affected your chewing and speech abilities.
- Orthodontic mini-implants
These are used to correct bite problems that would have required orthognathic surgery. Mini implants help control teeth movements during orthodontic treatment.
- Palatal expander
This is used to widen the upper jaw to enable the bottom and upper teeth to fit together.
Are you around Florida, and you’ve been considering getting orthodontic treatment near you? Dr. Reda A. Abdel-Fattah, a dentist in Boca Raton, 33486, will examine and help you determine the perfect straightening option for you. Visit our website to check out some of the orthodontics treatment before and after images for patients who had teeth alignment issues.
Benefits of Orthodontic Treatment
Orthodontic treatment improves a person’s oral health as well as their overall self-image. Below are reasons for visiting your orthodontist:
- To prevent teeth from developing in the wrong position
- To avoid swallowing or breathing problems
- Jaw pain treatment
- Correct crowding
- Tooth decay prevention tips
- To correct a crossbite, overbite, or underbite
Orthodontic treatment aims to create a healthy and functional bite. An orthodontist may help you improve your oral health. Visit Dental TMJ Sleep Apnea to enjoy the following benefits from orthodontic treatment:
- Enhanced oral health
Properly aligned teeth prevent food particles from lodging in the teeth. Conditions such as gum disease and cavities are less likely to occur.
- Improved appearance
Straight and evenly placed teeth improve your smile appearance as well as raising your self-esteem. Being confident in your physical appearance improves your mental alertness and emotional state.
- Improved nutrition
Poorly aligned teeth may limit your ability to chewing certain foods. Avoiding some of these foods may restrict your diet to a less nutritious meal. Straighter teeth give you the ability to eat and chew crunchy foods such as carrots and apples.
- Increased oral function
Misaligned bites can stress your jaw muscles, making them work harder than they should. Properly aligned teeth improve your ability to chew all sorts of foods.